Its origins are ancient, and Modica was inhabited by the Siculi and then by the Greeks and later subjugated by the Romans. It is mentioned by Cicero among the Sicilian towns which were victims of Verres’ vexations. After the Byzantine and Arab dominations, it enjoyed its greatest splendour in the long period from the Middle Ages to the modem age, during which it became a county. From the Aragonese, the county of Modica went for about a century to the Chiaramontes and then to the Cabreras. The wealth of the county and the power of its seigniors were such that Modica could compete with the royal authority and ended up constituting almost a kingdom within the kingdom. Over the centuries the history of the town was built up around its economy, which is still quite prosperous today. One need only think of the agriculture of the whole Modica area and the rural architecture of its countless farms and the variegated network of its renowned dry-stone wails. Among the main monuments, we must mention the San Giorgio church, which was done, at least in the present form, by Rosario Gagliardi, who re-designed it after it was destroyed in the 1693 earthquake; the church is enriched by a flight of 250 steps, accentuating the scenic effect of the fine façade.
Source: Provincia Regionale di Ragusa