Rich in history, art and traditions, the town dates back to the Siculi, from whom it almost certainly took its name, but it preserves vestiges of the Greek age, the Roman one and other later ones. From the medieval period there comes down the legendary recollection of the clash between Normans and Saracens, which took place in the Milici area in 1091. Later Scicli, under the Aragonese, was part of Modica county. The countless artistic monuments in Scicli mostly date back to the eighteenth century, when the town was rebuilt after the 1693 earthquake. In the old part there are magnificent churches and splendid mansions in the Baroque style. To the fifteenth century dates back San Bartolomeo church, the only one that withstood the 1693 earthquake; inside there is a precious wooden crib, which dates to the fifteenth century and is one of the oldest in Sicily. A historical mention must be made about the Croce church, in whose oratory there are fine fifteenth-century frescoes, some of which are votive offerings illustrating miracles performed by Santa Maria della Croce and have legends in ancient Sicilian, thus constituting a precious linguistic document. Non-religious architecture is also rich in artistic monuments, among which we must mention Palazzo Beneventano, Palazzo Fava and Palazzo Spadaro.
Source: Provincia Regionale di Ragusa